So you’ve relapsed, what now?
Well let’s look at the options; you can do one of five things
- Writhe around in self-flagellating shame and drink / use more to numb it
- Consider yourself a loser/failure and give up all hope of being able to change – drink or use more, what’s the point in trying?
- Believe that all the time you spent sober is now completely null and void – you’re back to ground zero so why not carry on drinking more.
- Keep replaying the relapse in your head, what you did , what you said, have a panic attack and drink/use more
- Get a grip, look at what played into the relapse, learn from it and move on.
So I assume if you are still reading you’ve probably tried options 1-4 numerous times before and perhaps they didn’t end so well? In that case, read on and look at what you need to do to get through this relapse. [Read more…]